MINIMUM REQUIRED SAFETY EQUIPMENT FOR RECREATIONAL BOATERS:*
- Personal Flotation Devices (PFD) – One USCG approved wearable PFD for each person on board, plus one throwable PFD for boats over 16’ in length. Children under 12 years old must wear approved and properly fitting PFD whenever vessel is under way on boats less than 26’.
- Fire Extinguisher(s)– Must be USCG approved, in serviceable condition, and appropriate size for your vessel.
- Visual Distress Signal – Required on vessels where the distance between shorelines is over two miles
- Bell and/or Whistle – Whistle must be audible for one-half mile. A power whistle, power horn and bell are required on vessels over 12 meters. *Different class vessels (based on overall length) may have additional safety equipment requirements. In addition, passenger-carrying and other commercial vessels have slightly different requirements. For more information contact the U.S. Coast Guard at www.uscg.mil.
- Reference: US Congress – Navigation rules
Fishing and Recreation Map
Please visit our Gift Shop for LPBF's new Fishing and Recreation Map for Lake Pontchartrain, Maurepas and Borgne. The map has locations of reefs, dredge holes, structures and many other fishing or outdoor localities (some never previously published). Tables provide GPS coordinates and contact information for boat launches. Color printing on waterproof vinyl paper (folded) or regular paper (rolled). 20” X 34” (LPBF copyright 2014)